24-hour urin: what it is for, how to collect it and values
The 24-hour urine test is an analysis of the urine collected during 24 hours to evaluate the function of the kidneys, which is used by several doctors, mainly in general medicine.
This exam is mainly indicated to measure the function of the kidneys or to evaluate the quantity of proteins or other substances in the urine, such as sodium, calcium, oxalate or uric acid, for example, as a way of identifying the diseases of the kidneys and the urinary tracts.
To carry out this examination, it is necessary to collect all the urine in its own container for a period of 24 hours, which must be taken to the laboratory that will analyze the values. Read more about other types of urine tests.
what is it for
The 24-hour urine test serves to evaluate the function of the kidneys and detect possible renal alterations through the determination of the quantity of some substances in the urine, such as:
- Creatinine clearance that evaluates the kidneys’ glomerular filtration rate. See more about Exam;
- Proteins, including Albumin;
- Uric acid;
Other substances such as ammonium, urea, magnesium and phosphate can also be measured in this exam.
In this way, the 24-hour urinary bladder can help the doctor identify problems such as renal failure, diseases of the renal tubules, causes of stones in the urinary tract or nephritis, which are a set of diseases that cause inflammation of the renal glomeruli.
In the embarazo, this exam can be used to determine the presence of proteins in the orin of the embarazada for the diagnosis of preeclampsia, which is a complication that can arise when the embarazada develops hypertension, fluid retention and loss of proteins by it. urinates.
How to collect urine for 24 hours
To carry out the 24-hour urine test, it is not necessary to carry out any previous preparation, you must follow the steps mentioned below:
- search for the container own laboratory;
- The next day, for the morning to wake up, you must breathe in the odorless, despising the first day’s flow;
- Note the exact time of urination que hizo en el odorless;
- After having orinate in the odorless, collect all the orinas during the day and the night in the container;
- There last urn to be collected in the container must be at the same time as the urn of the previous day which is odorless, with a tolerance of 10 minutes.
For example, if the individual starts at 8:00 am in the morning, the water collection must end exactly at 8:00 am on the morning of the next day, at least at 7:50 am and at most at 8:10 am am.
Care during the collection of urine
During the 24-hour urine collection, it is necessary to have certain precautions such as:
- If you are going to evacuate, you must not urinate in the odorless one because all the urine must be placed in the container;
- If you bathe, you cannot urinate in the bath;
- If you sell your house, you have to take the recipient or you can’t breathe until you return to the house;
- You cannot perform the 24-hour urine test with menstruation.
Between the collections of urine, the container must be in a cool place, preferably refrigerated. When the collection ends, the container must be taken as soon as possible to the laboratory for evaluation.
Normal values of the urine in 24 hours
Some of the reference values of the 24-hour urine test are:
- Creatinine clearance between 80 and 120 ml/min, which may be reduced in renal failure;
- Albumin: less than 30 mg/24 hours;
- Total proteins: less than 150 mg/24 hours;
- Calcium: without diet up to 280 mg/24h and with diet 60 to 180 mg/24h.
These values can vary from agreement to age, sex, health conditions of the person and the laboratory that carries out the examination, therefore, they must always be evaluated by the doctor, who will indicate if there is a need to carry out a treatment.
Some problems that can be identified if the result of the 24-hour urine test is altered are:
- proteinuria that is the excess of proteins in the urine, could indicate that the glomeruli that are the functional units of the kidney responsible for the filtration of the blood, are damaged. If it is voluminous, it can cause foam in the urine. Discover the main causes of foamy urine;
- Low citrate in the orine the individual is more likely to form kidney stones;
- The presence of potassium it could indicate some diseases of the renal tubules;
- the oxalate is important in the investigation of the causes of the formation of renal calculi;
- microalbuminuria that it is the detection of small amounts of proteins in the urinary tract that is important in the diagnosis and evolution of diabetic nephropathy, preeclampsia, hypertension and systemic lupus erythematosus.
The 24-hour urine exam due to the difficulty in collecting and the frequent errors that may occur, has been less and less requested in medical practice, being replaced by other more recent exams such as mathematical formulas that can be made after a simple urine test.
Verified by RJ9823 – Public Utility – cc2.0
Consult a Doctor | Translated by User2937
Content for educational purposes only
The translator user relied on the following text:
Tua Saude Website – REF93782 – Verified
Disclaimer – (English version>) This content has been prepared based on information from research, additional publications, or the translation/verification work of a volunteer editor of this web council. This is a non-profit service. It is strongly recommended that all details and information published be carefully verified. We never allow medication recommendations, medication package inserts or any medication guidance. We never allow partisan politics as information.
Isenção de responsabilidade – (versão em português): Este conteúdo foi preparado com base em informações de pesquisas, publicações adicionais ou no trabalho de tradução/verificação de um editor voluntário deste conselho web. Este é um serviço sem fins lucrativos. É altamente recomendável que todos os detalhes e informações publicadas sejam verificadas cuidadosamente. Nunca permitimos recomendações de medicamentos, bulas ou qualquer orientação sobre medicamentos. Nunca permitimos a política partidária como base para checagem. Para mais informações, leia nossos termos.