Skin allergy in babies: main causes, symptoms and what to do
The allergy in the skin of the baby is common, and the skin is more thin and sensitive than an adult, being more susceptible. In addition to this, it can be easily irritated by any factor such as heat or the type of fabric, causing the appearance of red spots, swelling and changes in the skin texture. See what are the most common skin problems in babies.
The allergy can cause a lot of discomfort for the baby, so it is important to consult a pediatrician when the first changes in the skin are observed, so that it is possible to identify the cause of the allergy and start the treatment.
Skin allergy is common in babies, as it is very sensitive, which is why its main causes are:
- Heat: Excessive heat, caused both by the use of too much clothing and by the excessive exposure to the sun, can cause skin irritation due to the suffocation of the pores, manifesting an allergy in the form of sarpullido called Miliaria. The milaria are just a few small red balls that can appear in the skin, under the arms or in the region of the country, which can cause comezón. See how to identify and treat the miliaria;
- Fabrics: Because the baby’s skin is quite sensitive, some fabrics can cause allergic reactions in the baby, such as wool, synthetic fabric, nylon or flannel, which prevent the skin from transpire properly. This is why the use of cotton fabrics is most recommended;
- Chemical agents: Some types of talc, shampoo or moisturizing creams can cause irritation on the baby’s skin. That’s why it’s important to pay attention to any change in the baby’s skin after using any of these products;
- Foods: Some foods can cause allergic reactions in babies and they are usually manifested by the appearance of red spots that cause comezón, after the ingestion of a certain food. Find out how to identify and avoid food allergy in babies.
Allergy in the baby’s skin due to the pancreas, which is characterized by the presence of red spots on the nose or in the genital region, is not really an allergy, but it is an irritation due to ammonia, a substance present in the urinary tract that regrets the sensitive skin of the baby. See what are other causes of red spots on baby’s skin.
The main symptoms of allergy in the skin of the baby are:
- Red spots on the skin;
- Rough, wet, dry or scaly skin;
- Eruption or rash on the reddened and inflamed skin.
How to treat allergy
To treat baby skin allergy, the doctor may prescribe antiallergic drugs or corticosteroids, ointments with corticosteroids suitable for skin allergy, in addition to recommending the use of a specific moisturizing cream for baby skin.
It is important to identify and avoid the couple agent of allergy. For example, if the allergic reaction occurs because of a shampoo or a specific moisturizing cream, the treatment will also consist of eliminating the use of these products and changing them, thus preventing the skin from becoming irritated.
Verified by RJ9823 – Public Utility – cc2.0
Consult a Doctor | Translated by User2937
Content for educational purposes only
The translator user relied on the following text:
Tua Saude Website – REF93782 – Verified
Disclaimer – (English version>) This content has been prepared based on information from research, additional publications, or the translation/verification work of a volunteer editor of this web council. This is a non-profit service. It is strongly recommended that all details and information published be carefully verified. We never allow medication recommendations, medication package inserts or any medication guidance. We never allow partisan politics as information.
Isenção de responsabilidade – (versão em português): Este conteúdo foi preparado com base em informações de pesquisas, publicações adicionais ou no trabalho de tradução/verificação de um editor voluntário deste conselho web. Este é um serviço sem fins lucrativos. É altamente recomendável que todos os detalhes e informações publicadas sejam verificadas cuidadosamente. Nunca permitimos recomendações de medicamentos, bulas ou qualquer orientação sobre medicamentos. Nunca permitimos a política partidária como base para checagem. Para mais informações, leia nossos termos.