Maiz: what is it, 7 health benefits (and healthy recipes)
Maize is a very versatile and popular type of cereal in Latin America, which has several benefits for health, such as protecting vision, as it is rich in the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, and improving intestinal health due to its fiber content, mainly insoluble.
This cereal can be consumed in different ways in salads, soups, pastries, tarts and in the form of corn bread. In addition, it can also be obtained in the form of harina, being able to prepare other dishes such as arepa, polenta, tamales, bollitos, tacos, burritos, enchiladas, chilaquiles, quesadillas, empanadas, bread, hallacas, locro, among others; it is also possible to extract its oil, very used to contain food.
The main benefits of maize consumption for health are:
- Prevent illnesses in the eyes, can protect the eye macula thanks to the presence of the antioxidants lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-carotenes;
- Strengthen the immune system, because it is rich in carotenoids and vitamins that help to increase the body’s defenses, thus preventing diseases such as the flu or the cold, for example;
- Favor the lost, it provides fibers that help to increase the feeling of satiety. However, as it is rich in carbohydrates, corn should be consumed together with a healthy diet;
- Reduce cholesterol levels, due to the presence of insoluble fibers that help to reduce the absorption of fat from food and increase the excretion of bile acids. In addition, after being fermented by bacteria in the intestine, fatty acids are produced from cut chain, inhibiting the synthesis of cholesterol in the liver, which reduces the risk of suffering cardiovascular diseases;
- Help control the blood sugar, for containing fibers and vitamins of the B complex and magnesium;
- contribute energy, for being rich in carbohydrates;
- Improve intestinal transit, Its fibers favor the formation of heces and favors the health of the intestinal flora. Asimismo, does not contain gluten, it can be consumed in cases of celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
The maize for palomites is the most rich in fibers, for this reason it is considered a great ally in good intestinal functioning. Also, this is the one that contains more minerals such as phosphorus, magnesium and zinc, while the green corn contains more vitamins, especially folic acid, niacin (vitamin B3) and vitamin B6.
Find out how to consume maize palomites in a healthy way.
Maize nutritional information
The following table shows the nutritional information of 100 g of cooked green maize:
|components||100 g of cooked green maize|
|Vitamin C||1.7 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.29 mg|
|Vitamin A||4 mcg|
|Vitamin B3||3.74 g|
|Vitamin B9||75 mcg|
It is important to mention that to obtain all the benefits mentioned above, the mother must include a balanced and healthy diet.
Healthy recipes with maize
Below are some healthy recipes to use the corn:
1. Fit maize pastry
- 3 huevos enteros;
- 1 can of drained green maize;
- 100 ml of skimmed milk;
- 1 spoonful of butter;
- 3 spoonfuls of sweetener in octopus or coconut sugar;
- 6 cups of oatmeal in hojuelas;
- 1 spoonful of hornear octopus.
Separate the egg whites from the yolks, beat the egg whites to a point of nieve and reserve them. Licuar las yemas, la mantequilla, la leche y el maíz, pour la mezcla in a bol and add el azúcar y la avena en hojuelas. Then, add the octopus de hornear and, finally, the clear ones with slight enveloping movements. Place the mixture in a mold for pudding greased with butter and bake in the preheated oven at a medium height for 30 minutes or until it is browned.
2. Ensalada with maize
- 2 large tomatoes (500 g), ripe but firm;
- 1 large avocado;
- 1/2 can of drained green maize;
- 1/2 onion in julienne;
- 30 g of queso blanco, cut into cubes.
for the vinaigrette
- 2 spoonfuls of olive oil;
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar;
- 4 spoonfuls of water;
- 1/2 spoonful of mustard;
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt;
- 1/8 of a cucharadita of pepper.
Wash and cut the tomatoes into cubes, preferably without seeds, just like the avocado. Place the tomato, the onion, the cheese, the avocado and the corn in a container. To prepare the vinaigrette, mix all the ingredients until they are uniformly mixed. Add the vinaigrette to the salad and stir well.
3. Chicken soup with maize
- 1/2 pollo without skin, cut into pieces;
- 2 liters of water;
- 2 mazorcas chopped in rounds;
- 1 cup of cubed calabash;
- 1 cup cubed zanahoria;
- 1 cup of cubed porridge;
- 2 chopped cilantro sprigs;
- 1/4 red pepper;
- 1 sprig of chives;
- 1/2 large onion, chopped per mitad;
- 2 cups of olive oil;
- 1/2 onion chopped in cubes and 2 pieces of machacado for the sofrito;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Add it in a big pot and the oil and prepare a sofrito with onion in cuadritos and the diente de ajo machacado. Once ready, add the water, the pollo, the chives, the medium chives chopped by the mitad, the pimentón, the wheels of the mazorca and the branch of chives and salt to taste.
Dejar hervir until the mazorca and the pollo are softened, then add all the vegetables and remove the pepper and chives. When everything is bland add chopped cilantro. It is important to remove the foam that forms in the broth.
See how to prepare healthy arepas.
Verified by RJ9823 – Public Utility – cc2.0
Consult a Doctor | Translated by User2937
Content for educational purposes only
The translator user relied on the following text:
Tua Saude Website – REF93782 – Verified
Disclaimer – (English version>) This content has been prepared based on information from research, additional publications, or the translation/verification work of a volunteer editor of this web council. This is a non-profit service. It is strongly recommended that all details and information published be carefully verified. We never allow medication recommendations, medication package inserts or any medication guidance. We never allow partisan politics as information.
Isenção de responsabilidade – (versão em português): Este conteúdo foi preparado com base em informações de pesquisas, publicações adicionais ou no trabalho de tradução/verificação de um editor voluntário deste conselho web. Este é um serviço sem fins lucrativos. É altamente recomendável que todos os detalhes e informações publicadas sejam verificadas cuidadosamente. Nunca permitimos recomendações de medicamentos, bulas ou qualquer orientação sobre medicamentos. Nunca permitimos a política partidária como base para checagem. Para mais informações, leia nossos termos.