How to relieve the hinchazón in the legs and legs after childbirth or cesarean
It is normal for a woman to have her legs and legs very swollen after giving birth for approximately 3 days. This swelling occurs mainly in women who only have a cesarean section, who remain in bed for a long time and need to recover from anesthesia; however, it can also affect women after vaginal delivery.
Some simple steps that can be recommended to reduce the swelling in the postpartum include:
- Drink a larger amount of liquids: In particular, water without sugar is indicated, which also favors the formation of a greater quantity of maternal milk;
- Walk inside the bedroom and inside the house, whenever possible: You can help the body to move and promote muscle contraction, help with venous return and even stimulate the expulsion of loquios, which is a normal vaginal secretion that occurs after childbirth;
- Moving your feet when you are sitting or leaning on the bed: because the contraction of the muscles of the calf is essential to stimulate the return of excess fluid in the legs and in the feet in the heart; in addition, it helps to prevent deep vein thrombosis;
- Elevate the legs and legs: placing a pillow or pillow under the feet so that they are located in a higher position than the trunk, whenever you are leaning on the bed or on the sofa;
- Give a contrast bath with hot water and cold water: submerging the feet in a lanyard with hot water and running in cold water, repeating this process 5 times. This strategy is excellent to eliminate the hinchazón de los pies faster.
See these steps in the continuation video:
In addition, it is also important to make some changes in food, such as reducing salt consumption, increasing consumption of foods rich in potassium such as almonds, nuts, avocado, banana, pears or papaya, for example, and reducing coffee consumption. o drinks that contain caffeine.
Why the woman swells after giving birth
During the embargo, the body of the woman may be around 50% more blood, without embargo, with less protein and hemoglobin. The birth of the baby, the woman’s body, again goes through a great process of transformation, but in a more abrupt way.
The excess of liquid in the space between the cells is a common and expected situation, which translates into sagging located especially in the piernas and in the pies; however, it can also be noted, even with less intensity, in the arms, the hands and also in the region of the scar of the cesarean section or of the episiotomy.
This fluid retention will be eliminated in the days after childbirth, through the urine and sweating.
Warning signs to go to the doctor
The hinchazón must last for up to 7 days, decreasing with each passing day. In case it lasts longer, you should go to the doctor, it might be necessary to evaluate the blood pressure and check if there is any important change in the heart, the kidneys or the liver. You should also see a doctor if the following signs are present:
- Pain in one of the legs;
- Enrojecimiento in the region of the pantorrilla;
- heart palpitations;
- lack of air;
- Very strong headache;
- Abdominal pain;
- Increase or decrease of las ganas de orinar.
It is not recommended to take any diuretic medication for its own account because it can mask the symptoms, the symptoms must be evaluated by the doctor; therefore, only diuretics must be taken under medical indications.
Verified by RJ9823 – Public Utility – cc2.0
Consult a Doctor | Translated by User2937
Content for educational purposes only
The translator user relied on the following text:
Tua Saude Website – REF93782 – Verified
Disclaimer – (English version>) This content has been prepared based on information from research, additional publications, or the translation/verification work of a volunteer editor of this web council. This is a non-profit service. It is strongly recommended that all details and information published be carefully verified. We never allow medication recommendations, medication package inserts or any medication guidance. We never allow partisan politics as information.
Isenção de responsabilidade – (versão em português): Este conteúdo foi preparado com base em informações de pesquisas, publicações adicionais ou no trabalho de tradução/verificação de um editor voluntário deste conselho web. Este é um serviço sem fins lucrativos. É altamente recomendável que todos os detalhes e informações publicadas sejam verificadas cuidadosamente. Nunca permitimos recomendações de medicamentos, bulas ou qualquer orientação sobre medicamentos. Nunca permitimos a política partidária como base para checagem. Para mais informações, leia nossos termos.