What to eat if you work at night?
Working in shifts increases the chances of developing conditions such as obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, digestive problems such as gastritis and gastric ulcers, and depression, because irregular hours can compromise the adequate production of hormones.
People who work in shifts also need to have 5 to 6 meals a day, without skipping any of these, having to adapt them according to the work schedule they have. Also, it is necessary to avoid excess caffeine 3 hours before bed so as not to harm the sweat, in addition to eating light foods so that the body can reach the deep sweat and rest properly.
Find out how to improve the sueño of who works in shifts.
What to eat before bed
When the person works all night, before going to sleep, he needs to have a light lunch, but nutritious, with the purpose of which the intestine is not very active and the body can rest better.
The ideal is that this meal is performed about 60 minutes before bed, that it is low in fat, that it contains proteins and that it is low in calories, a study indicates that the ideal is that it contains less than 200 calories. Some examples are:
- Low-fat yogurt and wholemeal pan with white queso low in grease;
- Skimmed milk with María and fruit galletas;
- 2 huevos sancochados or rolled up with a wholemeal pan;
- Fruit smoothie with 2 wholemeal toasts with 1 cup of butter or cacahuate cream.
The workers who work during the day must choose a quiet place with no clarity so that the body can reach the deep sueño. It is also important to avoid drinking coffee at least 3 hours before bed so that caffeine does not cause insomnia.
See what foods to avoid if you suffer from insomnia.
What to eat before starting to work
Before starting work, you must have a complete meal that provides energy and nutrients for the working day. At this time you can also drink caffeinated drinks to keep your body active. Some examples of foods to eat before working according to the timetable are:
- Breakfast: 1 cup of coffee with milk without sugar + 1 whole-wheat bread sandwich with cooked huevo and 1 cheese sandwich + 1 banana;
- Almuerzo: 1 cup of soup + 120 g of meat a la plancha + 3 spoonfuls of wholegrain rice + 3 spoonfuls of fried beans + 2 cups of raw salad or 1 cup of cooked vegetables + 1 dessert fruit;
- Scene: 120 g of fresh fish + 2 cooked porridge + 1 bowl of sautéed vegetables and garbanzo + 1 dessert fruit.
Those people who arrive at the house in the early afternoon can choose to have lunch at work or to have lunch 2 times during the morning and lunch when arriving at home, being important not to spend more than 4 hours without eating anything.
What to eat during work
Apart from the main meal, the person needs to eat at least 1 or 2 snacks during work, depending on the shift they are doing, including foods such as:
- 1 cup of natural yogurt + wholemeal pan with butter, hummus, guacamole or cacahuate cream;
- 1 cup of fruit salad with linaza;
- 1 portion of proteins such as chicken or pavo, queso low in grease, huevos or tuna, and a raw salad or with cooked vegetables;
- 1 cup of coffee with skimmed milk + 4 tostadas integrales;
- 1 cup of gelatin;
- 1 handful of dried fruits;
- 1 portion of fruit;
- 1 or 2 medium pancakes (prepared with banana, huevo, oatmeal and cinnamon) greased with cacahuate cream or with 1 slice of queso blanco.
Shift workers must strive to have regular times to eat, sleep and wake up. Maintaining a routine will ensure that the body works properly and absorbs the nutrients ingested correctly, which helps maintain weight.
Other nutritional recommendations
Other tips that are also important for night workers, what they work in shifts are:
- Bring a lunch or a meal with food and a lunch at your house, this will help you select healthier options. By the way, the food service or cafeteria is limited during the night shifts, so it is necessary to resort to fast food or less healthy options such as the machines where they sell snacks.
- Trying to elect adequate portionssince it could be useful to consume small portions, instead of a more abundant food during the night shift, being on the ground will help you to avoid weight gain, but it will also prevent you from sweating.
- Maintain regular fluid consumption to stay hydrated during your workday.
- Avoid the consumption of soft drinks or drinks rich in sugar, such as sweets or foods rich in fat, could make you feel more tired and promote weight gain.
- In case you find it difficult to have lunch during the work shift, try to bring easy and practical snacks You can have it on hand to avoid skipping the food, such as a bag with nuts, a bag or 1 packet of cream cracker-style galleta, for example.
Apart from food, it is also essential to practice physical activity at least 3 times a week, as this will help maintain the proper weight and prevent illness.
In case of any doubt, the ideal is to go to a nutritionist to prepare a nutritional plan adapted to your needs, taking into account the time you perform, the type of work, your eating habits, among other parameters that are important to achieve a healthy and balanced diet.
Verified by RJ9823 – Public Utility – cc2.0
Consult a Doctor | Translated by User2937
Content for educational purposes only
The translator user relied on the following text:
Tua Saude Website – REF93782 – Verified
Disclaimer – (English version>) This content has been prepared based on information from research, additional publications, or the translation/verification work of a volunteer editor of this web council. This is a non-profit service. It is strongly recommended that all details and information published be carefully verified. We never allow medication recommendations, medication package inserts or any medication guidance. We never allow partisan politics as information.
Isenção de responsabilidade – (versão em português): Este conteúdo foi preparado com base em informações de pesquisas, publicações adicionais ou no trabalho de tradução/verificação de um editor voluntário deste conselho web. Este é um serviço sem fins lucrativos. É altamente recomendável que todos os detalhes e informações publicadas sejam verificadas cuidadosamente. Nunca permitimos recomendações de medicamentos, bulas ou qualquer orientação sobre medicamentos. Nunca permitimos a política partidária como base para checagem. Para mais informações, leia nossos termos.